Saturday, April 9, 2011

Conversations

Before I get to my actual blog, I have to mention a couple of things.

First: Someone, somewhere (Facebook (FB), I think) reported my blog as being abusive. I couldn't post it to my wall, FB notified me as I was trying to post. I emailed them immediately explaining I've never had a problem & had to wait. So I shut the blog down from anyone trying to read it, until I either figured out who reported me or FB restored my ability. That lasted a whole 24 hours, as my ability to post to FB was restored, which is good because I have something to share with you.

Second: Please know that I would never ever make fun of anyone with a disability. That's just not funny. It's not going to happen here. I will however, point out if someone is an asshole or is funny. That stuff just makes for a better read.

OK, blog time....

As I have mentioned, my street name is Wits End. It's not a joke. I moved here when I was getting divorced. It's the only place I could find that would allow me to have a dog. So the building I live in is a dog building. 95% of us here have 1 or more dogs. I am not sure if I mentioned but the Rock star with the asshole dogs moved about. Apparently he was a disgusting pig. There was poo in the bathroom baseboard heater. I don't know how it got there nor do I want to know. I met the new woman who lives below me when she was moving in. She explained it was going to be her & her son who is 23. Mind you, we have 1 bedroom apartments. He will get the bedroom & she will be sleeping on a pull out in the living room. Her son is autistic that is why he is still with her. I apologized in advance for Hailey & her hopping around, she behaves like a mule deer & sometimes sounds like a horse. They've been here about a week.

While on my blog shut down, she opened the door to talk to me yesterday morning. The conversation went something like this:

New Neighbor (NN): I wanted to ask you if you could keep the noise down at 4am. The floor really squeaks a lot & it wakes us up & when my son gets woken up he gets agitated & then can't go back to sleep. I've been sleeping in his closet.
Me: So sorry. I don't know why they (the cat & dog) have been getting up at 4am. I don't want to be up then & I have been trying to fix that problem.
NN: well the floors squeak, & it's just very noisy & I've been sleeping in the closet.
Me: Well, I've had conversations with the cat & dog explaining that I don't want to be up then & they don't need to be either & we should try sleeping until 6am.
NN: Could you try again?
Me: Sure, I will try & explain & rationalize to a cat & dog why they shouldn't be up at 4am.
NN: Ok thanks, sorry sweetheart, I'm not trying to be a pain.
Me: Sure, I will go talk to them now.

Yes. That was my conversation. I looked her straight in the eye & said I would talk to Hailey & the boy & explain that they shouldn't get up or be so noisy. And I did just that. All day, I mentioned it to them.

And really, sleeping in the closet?? Come on now. If I get up & feed them, it's a matter of 10 minutes. Not really worthy of sleeping in the closet. Seriously.

When it was bedtime, I propped my door shut just enough that the cat could get in & out, but Hailey was forced to stay with me. Hailey is a good sleeper with a couple of exceptions: when her pill makes her sick to her stomach & when there is a thunder storm. The boy, on the other hand, is a real pain. He is very smart & does things, scratches the metal cover where the air conditioner would go, because it's loud. He sits on the bed & meows at Hailey to wake her up. He runs like a wildebeest from the living room to the bedroom & across the bed & whoever is sleeping. He is the problem. I have tried breaking up their meals into 4 small ones instead of 2 big ones. Extra treats. Ignoring them. Nothing works. I don't know what to do.

Last night, he started at 4am. Hailey was forced to stay in the bedroom & pace instead of being able to get out into the living room with the hardwood floors. Here I am telling him to cut the shit & telling Hailey to get back in her bed. Around 5am, an hour of this, I had to go to the bathroom. While trying to be sympathetic to her request, I was slightly annoyed & felt like a prisoner in my bedroom. Plus, I really had to go. So I turned my light on, which instantly causes Hailey to jump up out of her bed. I sneak out of the bedroom, keeping her locked in, go to the bathroom, go to the kitchen quick, give the cat some treats & grab some for Hailey. When I get back in the bedroom, I prop the door again & give Hailey her snack. By the time I turned my light back off, Hailey was already sound asleep & snoring in her bed. Not another peep out of the boy either. I was awake until about 6am, I started to doze & at about 7am I got up to feed the first portion of breakfast. Then we all went back to bed, but I didn't really sleep.

They aren't home right now. I don't know if she is going to complain to me any more. I hope not. I really don't want to be up at 4am or wake my neighbors up. Before she even moved in I have been trying to find a solution to this problem.

Also, I don't know why she chose this apartment complex. I know of a place where she could get a 2 bedroom apartment much cheaper than what she is paying here & they don't allow dogs there. As I mentioned, she did move into a dog building. While I will make efforts to keep the middle of the night noise down, it may not always be perfect. When it isn't perfect she will need to suck it up sometimes. I may seem bitchy & it could be because I'm tired & being up in the middle of the night AND becoming frustrated will make anyone bitchy.

If anyone has tips on how to help me with this, I would appreciate them. Please don't suggest I lock them out of the bedroom. The cat will beat the door until I let him in. I keep Hailey close because sometimes during the night she has panicky itchy fits & get up to keep her calm. I also feed them their final meal just before lights out. So if you have something different to suggest, please share.

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment